We Are Our Mother’s Mother’s Daughters

On February 26th, I went over to Oakland and joined a few other hundred people on a sunny Saturday to stand up for Planned Parenthood. Congress recently voted to defund Planned Parenthood, despite passionate speaches by prominant women, including my own representative, Jackie Speier. She made me very proud that I live in San Francisco.

Planned Parenthood isn’t about abortion. It’s in the name itself, Planned Parenthood. 3% of their services in 2008 were abortions. The other 97% of their services were used for: STD tests and treatments, Cancer screening, Birth Control and OBGYN services, infertility testing and support, pregnancy testing, vasectomies and tube sterilization, and other health services for those that had no where else to go. They offer an affordable, safe and discreet place to go. When I made the decision to go on birth control, I went to them. I know many other women who did too, some still go to them because that’s where they feel comfortable. So please please realize, defunding Planned Parenthood isn’t just about abortion, it’s about women’s health and bodies in a much larger way. They are a partner for us and if their funding is taken away, the government is making a decision about who we can go to for our OBGYN needs. Pretty fucking hypocritical from politicians who claim that Obama’s healthcare initiative is going too far in telling people what to do about health care.

This blog is hard to write because I feel extremely emotional about this and it’s hard to organize all the thoughts and feelings into something persuasive or coherent.

I’ve felt attacked and treated like a minority by our government in recent years. It’s hard being a woman in a lot of ways in this country. We’re taught from an early age that we’re not as good as men at mathematics, science, sports, or even thinking. We’re called “bitches” when we talk back or come off as overly opinionated. Our politicians, republicans and democrats alike, are often degraded by their physical appearance or bitchiness rather than their ideas.

The vast majority of our government positions are held by men. Men who get to make the decisions for us. Women’s right to make their own decisions about their bodies and birth control is under attack. Some of the bills in the last couple months have included South Dakota’s attempt to make killing an abortion provider “justifiable homicide”. The Republican House of Representatives introduced language on a bill restricting abortion funding for rape to “forcible rape”.

Rather than making the obvious connection that this horrible “doctor” in Philadelphia, recently arrested for illegal/unsafe abortions, as an example of why we don’t want to go back to “back alley abortions”, people have associated him with Planned Parenthood (due to slander). WHAT THE FUCK. Dr. Kermit Gosnell WAS NOT ASSOCIATED WITH PLANNED PARENTHOOD. THIS IS SLANDER FROM THE SAME PEOPLE THAT ARE CREATING THOSE HORRIFIC/RACIST POSTERS CLAIMING THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE FOR AN AFRICAN AMERICAN CHILD IS THE WOMB. (By the way if you haven’t seen, the girl’s mother was horrified that 2yr old modeling photos were used for this.)

Abortion is not illegal, it something that women FOUGHT for. It is something that women used before it was legal and many died. Making it illegal again will not stop it, it will mean more of our sisters, daughters, mothers, friends putting their lives at risk.

At the rally there were doctors and old women who spoke. These women were there fighting for the right before Roe vs Wade and they continue to fight as this right is under attack again. They remember seeing their friends, sisters, and daughters go to illegal clinics. They remember the ones who never came back. They believe in the right for abortion without apology and I do to. I think abortion is an extremely difficult decision, I think anyone who makes this decision owes no one an apology. They will live with it for the rest of their life, it’s not something a woman ever forgets.

I urge you to stand with Planned Parenthood. Inaction is easy, but if you don’t take a stand there may not be enough of us to do it alone.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s