If you read my Thanksgiving post you’ve realized I like to reflect, especially when there’s a holiday to remind me to. So handy!
Here’s my goodbye to 2010:
- Most random ring into any New Year I’ve ever had. A and I ended up at our friend’s house who is Russian, which means that New Years is sort of like their Christmas and involves lots of food and drinking. After a negative Dartmouth ‘blast from the past’ I was ready to do anything that night but stay at the party we were at. We arrived, may have eaten horse salami (no one is sure), had muzzled muppet looking schnauzers want to eat us, and were merry.
- The dark days…. The months after new years were some of my toughest I’ve had in a long time. I was off and on unemployed/broke since getting back to the states Oct 1st. It had been long enough I was doing the whole not seeing anyone and sulking around my apt. I was super fun. I had a lot of interviews that would mostly get put on hold and I had a freelancing gig that could have gone permanent but it wasn’t what I wanted to do and the women were as welcoming as a pack of jackals.
- I had one of my best friends move to the city which helped me get out of my funk and really brought me a lot of happiness and much needed silliness.
- I started the job I have now in advertising. It took me about 3yrs, but I finally made it into the industry. I got really lucky and also work on a team that I really like and an account that’s fun/interesting. It does leave me Facebook posting on the weekends, but I’ll take that over managing directors grabbing my thigh any day of the week!
- In a whirlwind weekend I turned 26, got engaged, and moved into an apartment that doesn’t remind me of a dungeon. My head was left spinning, but it was pretty rad.
- Best friend who moved to city broke our friendship off mid-summer without explanation. That was another really tough moment, but one of those tough moments where the sun shines unexpectedly. It made me reach out to other close friends and I believe it made us all closer and really gave me an appreciation of the wonderful people I have in my life. Friendship is like any relationship, it’s a choice.
- Speaking of friendships, thank you M&A you guys make our lives better. Whether it’s doing something or nothing, we always enjoy being around you guys. I feel very lucky.
- We went to two wedding which I think helped us both feel more comfortable about our own. They were both a lot of fun and also relaxed. I also just think as I get older, I have more of an appreciation of being at weddings and being a part of that major moment in someone’s life.
- New Years 2011/11: This year we spent it with a couple that we’re friends whose wedding we attended this year as well. It was great, lots of champagne, music, silly conversations.
So in conclusion, 2010 was one of the best years I’ve had in a while. I noticed a lot of FB updated on New Years being glad 2010 was over, but I had a good time. I did fail at quitting celeb gossip and coffee (although I might count that as a 2011 failure), but I’m not perfect.
I wish you all a Happy New Year